January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

George Bush's second term as President of the United States is over and Barack Obama's first term has begun. That's reason enough for a return to posting and a little celebration.

Incidentally, I though Obama's speech was good, but not great. It was delivered as well as any of his speeches, which is pretty good, but there really wasn't a single, big, memorable line for the ages. I mean, it's a historic speech just by the nature of Obama becoming the first black president, but it would have been great if there was a line like "Don't ask what your country can do for you..."

4 comments:

Royce said...

I agree. I've listened to the speech a few times and haven't heard what I would consider a historical sound-bite.

The closest thing was that part where we "pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America."

Meh.

sarah said...

It was very intellectual. After all he quoted GW quoting Thomas Paine. Not for the masses or sound bites, but very good in my opinion.

Dan said...

I am rather fond of:

"We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals."

... especially considering all the ideals Bush sacrificed for "safety".

sarah said...

I also thought about how akward it must be for Obama to shit talk Bush's policies while Bush is standing 5 ft away.