May 14, 2005

Condemned to freedom

An amusing quiz, via Dr. B and Profgrrrl.

You scored as Existentialist. Existentialism emphasizes human capability. There is no greater power interfering with life and thus it is up to us to make things happen. Sometimes considered a negative and depressing world view, your optimism towards human accomplishment is immense. Man is condemned to be free and must accept the responsibility.

Existentialist

94%

Cultural Creative

88%

Postmodernist

75%

Modernist

63%

Materialist

50%

Idealist

44%

Romanticist

38%

Fundamentalist

25%

What is Your World View?
created with QuizFarm.com


It sounds about right, though I think my Modernist/Enlightenment and Postmodernist inclinations are much more equally balanced these days. Also, I understand they're quoting Sartre when they say man is condemned to be free, but why didn't they use 'humanity' instead?

I wasn't sure what 'Cultural Creative' was, but Profgrrrl happened to get it:

You scored as Cultural Creative. Cultural Creatives are probably the newest group to enter this realm. You are a modern thinker who tends to shy away from organized religion but still feels as if there is something greater than ourselves. You are very spiritual, even if you are not religious. Life has a meaning outside of the rational.

Sounds an awful lot like what attracts me to Kant and Heidegger, actually. Nifty.

7 comments:

MosBen said...

You scored as Postmodernist.



Postmodernism is the belief in complete open interpretation. You see the universe as a collection of information with varying ways of putting it together. There is no absolute truth for you; even the most hardened facts are open to interpretation. Meaning relies on context and even the language you use to describe things should be subject to analysis.

Postmodernist 94%
Cultural Creative 69%
Existentialist 63%
Materialist 63%
Idealist 56%
Modernist 56%
Romanticist 19%
Fundamentalist 6%

I have to say though that, as is common in online quizzes, I had a lot of problem with the wording of some of the questions. I ended up choosing the middle option more that I would have liked only because I didn't think the question can really be answered properly.

Unknown said...

You scored as Materialist.

Materialism stresses the essence of fundamental particles. Everything that exists is purely physical matter and there is no special force that holds life together. You believe that anything can be explained by breaking it up into its pieces. i.e. the big picture can be understood by its smaller elements.

Materialist 81%

Postmodernist 75%

Existentialist 75%

Modernist 63%

Cultural Creative 50%

Idealist 44%

Romanticist 38%

Fundamentalist 31%

I agree with MosBen's comments on the quiz itself. I had a hard time with questions relying on the word "spiritual", because I wasn't sure if the question meant by that the same thing I mean by it.

Noumena said...

If you thought that was annoying, you should've seen the personality quiz I had to take to apply to Borders. Half an hour of vague crap like this, and that was for a job.

MosBen said...

I would just like to point out the shockingly high levels of fundamentalism you guys exhibit.

Noumena said...

Well, you know me, I'm all about the Jeebus.

Anonymous said...

Hey, guys!
So, I read what you're writing almost daily, and I figure it's about time that I leave a comment.

I also scored as a Cultural Creative.

Cultural Creative 81%
Romanticist 75%
Modernist 69%
Idealist 63%
Materialist 50%
Existentialist 50%
Postmodernist 38%
Fundamentalist 19%

That was fun!

Hope you guys are relaxing now that finals are done. Congrats!

-megs

MosBen said...

Yay Megindely! Yay for comments!