November 05, 2005

I'm Ready For My Close Up Mr. MosBen

A new video of the soon-to-be-released game "The Movies" is up over at Filecloud. Man, this game looks so awesome and it's coming right towards the end of a school semester, which is always the best time for me to be slacking off extra. I might actually have to give this to myself for Christmas or I stand a very good chance of failing all of my finals. For those that don't know about The Movies, here's a brief description from the somewhat longer description at the official site:

Imagine you could make any movie you wanted to. Imagine you could pluck someone from obscurity and make him or her the hottest star in Tinseltown. Imagine that you had control of an entire movie studio, competing with others to create a string of box office smashes. Imagine being able to use your judgement alone, deciding whether success lies with epic action pictures or lots of low budget, hammy 'B' movies.


Here's a weekend thread for all of you: (Assume for the purposes of the question that you are all going to go buy and play this game, which you should) Describe your ingame masterwork. Name, genre, brief description. Keep in mind that I'm not asking what movie you would make if you were a real life director, but what you would make in the game, so no need to feel like you have to make some big important film. For instance, in this game you could easily choose to make an alien buddy cop film.

"
She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere,
So I looked around and I noticed there wasn’t a chair."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beatles, "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"

Noumena said...

A biopic of the life and death of Socrates. Or possibly Nietzsche. Or, hell, a film version of Thus Spake Zarathustra.

Kant would actually not be a good candidate for a film. The man lived in the same city his entire life, never married, and supposedly was on such a rigid schedule the locals could set their clocks by his afternoon constitutional.

Though Immanuel Kant: Vampire Hunter might be interesting ...

MosBen said...

Actually, I think one of the features you don't hear much about when people talk about this game is that (I'm pretty sure) the movies are rather limited in length. Realistically, a full two hour movie would take way too much work to let the game stay fun and in running your studio you have to keep churning out films, and I'm sure several dozen full length movies would take up way too much space on the hard drive for most people to be able to play it.

I think the movies are limited to 5-10 mins, but I don't remember why I think that's the correct figure.

MosBen said...

But if I can find a way to do the costumes, you know you can expect some super hero action from my studio.

Anonymous said...

5-10 minutes..."Blood and Bourbon" and editing would be key. It would begin the same way it would end; with a woman in her home drinking Makers Mark. Red would be the "theme" color (though not like in "The Sixth Sense"), title would appear in the wax, it would begin with a scene in what would be the end of the movie and would give a snapshot in the life of this particular person. You could do a series of these movies and they'd appear in the beginning of full-length films. Half the reason people would see these movies would be to see these short films. Finally, the call for a feature length would happen and you'd get something a bit more complicated and sophisticated than something like "Run, Lola, Run!" It would just be overwhelming. Lots of fuzzy close-ups and the extraordinary things that happen in a typical day; odd chance meetings and opportunities, foiled schemes, car chases...I'm still developing but anyone? Takers? Like this idea?