June 20, 2005

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na

The new Batman movie kicks much ass. Do I really need to say much more? Go see this movie.

Okay, a little more. I recently read Superheroes and Philosophy, which prompted me to follow up with the excellent graphic novels The Dark Knight Returns, The Watchmen, and Kingdom Come. Drawing loosely on Batman: Year One, Begins offers as much as these highly acclaimed graphic novels, including fodder for reflections on many of the topics discussed in Superheroes, including the ethics of vigilantism (and thereby ethics in general) and the way the secret identity ties into issues of personal identity.

Some of you might also be interested in looking at the comments on the City of Heroes forums thread on Begins, with pretty unanimous praise for just about every aspect of the film except the fight cinematography.

1 comment:

MosBen said...

I've really been meaning to pick up The Dark Knight Returns for a while now, as I've heard nothing but praise. Watchmen changed the way I thought about comics as a medium and is one of my favorite written works of all time. It's really that good.