May 10, 2006

Completely Not Random

So, out here in the South Jersey some of us have recently discoved Guitar Hero, what is easily the best music/rhythm game ever. For those that aren't familiar, the game comes bundled with a 3/4 scale guitar controller. Yes, a guitar controller that you strap around you while you're rocking out/playing the game. It has five buttons on the neck representing frets, a button where the pickups would be and which replicates strumming, and a whammy bar. To play the game you select a song, from quite a good mix of tunes I might add, and the game tells you which buttons to press at what time to "play" the song. I know, it sounds extremely lame from that description, but then, pretty much any game sounds lame if you break it down like that.

Ultimately, when you reach the top two difficulty levels it really starts to fool you into thinking that you're involved in the song. Criticize as you might, but if you play for a little while you'll be surprised to find yourself rocking along as you hit a really tough lick spot on. Anyway, the game is extremely fun. Currently it's only out for PS2, but I can't imagine a game as popular as this one is staying on one system for too long. If you get a chance to play it, I highly recommend it.

A sequel is coming out this fall, and ever since I found out my ear perks up when I hear a song that I think would be a good addition. Since I don't have school anymore, I went through my itunes library today and put together some songs I think would work in the game. Check below the fold to see...

(Song - Artist)
1. Mississippi Queen - Mountain
2. Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas
3. Back In Black - AC/DC
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
5. '96 Quite Bitter Beings - CKY
6. Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
7. Aqualung - Jethro Tull
8. Sweet Child Of Mine - Guns & Roses
9. 2 Minutes To Midnight - Iron Maiden
10. Any Way You Want It – Journey
11. Feed My Frankenstein - Alice Cooper
12. How Blue Can You Get - BB King
13. Just What I Needed - The Cars
14. Have A Cigar – Pink Floyd
15. Black Magic Woman – Santana
16. Wonderboy – Tenacious D
17. Long Distance Runaround – Yes
18. Big Girls – The Trap
19. Head - OSI
20. Ramble On - Led Zepplin

Honorable Mentions:

Inside Out - Anthrax
Rebellion (Lies) - The Arcade Fire
You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - Bachman Turner Overdrive
Key To The Highway - BB King & Eric Clapton
Dark Night - The Blasters
Johnny Be Good - Chuck Berry
What Is Life - George Harrison
Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Scotty Doesn't Know - Lustra
Float On – Modest Mouse
Jessie’s Girl – Rick Springfield
Cat Scratch Fever – Ted Nugent
Angry Cockroaches - Tito and Tarantula

No comments: