April 06, 2009

Farscape

So, every nerd has to at least be familiar with Star Trek and Star Wars to even have a little cred. Buffy's probably in there too, and I wouldn't be surprised if BSG became a part of the necessary nerd knowledge as time goes one.

Then there are the other shows. The shows that only the weird nerds are really into. These are the Babylon 5s, the Hercules/Xenas, SG-1s, Andromedas, and yes, Farscapes. Well, I've been watching Farscape for a while now, and I'm closing in on the end of Season 2 (of 4 total, plus a TV movie), and it's really turned into a good show. The first season was decent, though the quality wasn't quite good enough to distract me from the fact that everyone in space is an Australian. Despite being a sometimes serious show, this made for the more humorous version of space I've seen. But Season 2 really turns the show up to 11 with the greater focus on the villain Scorpius. Yes, just a short while ago I thought he was about the dumbest looking villain in a long time, but they make it work.

Anyway, I guess the takeaway is that if I wasn't before, I'm definitely one of those weird nerds now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to admit, I thought your enthusiasm for SG-1 was pretty strange when we first met. I had never seen it, and foolishly assumed it was crap. I mean, it was based on a thoroughly mediocre movie and starred that dude from MacGuyver.

But you were right...

sarah said...

Farscape is good. Bab 5 is AWESOME. Everyone needs to watch it. now.

MosBen said...

I'll get around to B5 eventually, but I watched the first couple episodes and it was baaaaad. Now, I've suffered through TNG and DS9 season 1s, so I'm willing to put up with some crap, but this was just kind of painful.

I see where the comparisons to DS9 come from, but it was like DS9 without the great acting. Hopefully it gets better after a while though.

Royce said...

I've seen one or two episodes and didn't get into this series that way. If it was instant view on netflix I'd watch it, but season 1 isn't even available to be mailed. Apparently, the studio recalled all the DVDs and is going to reissue them.

Geronimo said...

One of those weird nerds now? Ben, you're a little late to get off that train.