August 01, 2004

The Spoiler Free Review of The Village

I don't know what my problem is. Maybe M. Night Shyamalan sneeks into my bedroom at night and whispers his secrets into my ears or maybe I'm just too smart (I HIGHLY doubt this), but I've never been suprised by his movies. All the audible gasps in the audience when the big twist happen in movies like The Sixth Sense leave me completely confused. If you have liked M.'s previous work I'm sure you'll like this one. He does a good just of setting up tension and has a good eye for framing his shots. Adrian Brody did well I thought as the mentally challanged man in our little hamlet. Like his other films though, I felt that if you were watching the movie from the start you could see the inevitable twist coming a mile away and, as always, I didn't like what he did with it. This isn't to say it's a bad film. Certainly I've seen worse this year and probably even this summer. It's just that the Shyamalan-ster does a great job of making trailers and I always go into the movie hoping it will be something it invevitably turns out not to be. Also like his other films there are plot holes big enough to fit entirely complete plots within them, but if you like this film it really doesn't matter that much as is the case with most films. Long story short, if you like M. Night Shyamalan's stuff you should go see it and you'll likely have a fun time. If you, like me, are convinced by the trailers that THIS will be the movie where he does things differently, wait for DVD or On-Demand.

I have thematic problems with the film, but they require spoilers, so they'll go in the next post.

No comments: