October 08, 2004

Life in the Dar

First, for those of you who didn't take an Asian Studies class: Dar al-Islam (and, yes, I realize I'm using the term incorrectly).

Anyway. More depressing shit from southwest Asia. As I recall, honor killings are also prolific in Afghanistan and Pakistan (no surprise), sub-Saharan Africa (again, no surprise), and India -- because fundamentalist Hinduism is just as misogynist as other fundamentalist religions.

Here's one of my `favorite' Bible verses: `If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he ath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days' -- Deuteronomy 22:28-9

1 comment:

LameAim said...

Dammit, I was expecting an article on the Daughters of the American Revolution.