February 04, 2007

Good news, bad news (Joss Whedon edition)

First, Bad News: Joss Whedon will not be making Wonder Woman. Now, I'll admit that Wonder Woman was never anywhere near my favourite character, or even my favourite DC character (some of you may remember my preference for Batman and Flash), but I really did think that Whedon was one of the few writers/directors around who could get Wonder Woman right.

Indeed, I've just realised that my list of favourite directors (Ang Lee, David Fincher, Gore Verbinski, David Cronenberg, Christopher Nolan, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Guillermo del Toro, Akira Kurosawa, David O. Russell, Stanley Kubrick, Tom Tykwer) has many a comic book fan, nary a woman. Have any women managed to escape the mainstream directorial ghetto of the `chick flick'? Sofia Coppola's the only one I can think of, and I've been less than thrilled by her films.

Anyways, Good News: Buffy is going to go up against the War on Terra.

No comments: