June 24, 2006

D2: The Mighty Ducks

So yeah, it's 2am in the morning, and I've had a few drinks. Some people drunk dial...not me. I watch crap movies. Tonight we have the sequel to The Mighty Ducks on TBS and LA Confidential on HBO. The major theme of D2 is finding the joy in difficult tasks, but the scene that always resonated with me is where the US Junior Hockey Team plays a bunch of inner city amateurs. Disregard the rest of the film. It's saccharine dreck and everyone knows it. What bothers me is the scene where the nearly universal white team (minus the Spanish player) is thoroughly smashed by the completely black inner city squad, only to grab the youngest black player from their opposition and dismiss the rest. I've never been able to properly catagorize my discomfort, but it's definitely there. Gah. Perhaps I should keep this for myself. Oh Banks, you should have told people about your wrist injury sooner. You idiot.

Ok, Wayne Gretsky just showed up. It's hard to argue with the great one, no?

Edit: Alright Kenny Wu! 2 Minutes Well Worth It!

6 comments:

MosBen said...

Oh drunk Ben, you're such a weird dude. What am I going to do with you?

MosBen said...

Oh, and I was fine to drive. It wasn't until Goldberg the Goalie drove me to drink that I became impaired.

Jenna said...

Goldberg is not white, and the reason they picked him is because of the knuckle puck. That is pure talent my friend...PURE TALENT. No one else could possibly do that.

MosBen said...

Indeed, I believe Drunk Ben was referring to the fact that, rather than watch LA Confidential, he went straight to D2 as soon as he saw that it was on.

Henry Finn said...

Its interesting that you found something related to racism in the might ducks movie. Recently I attended a lecture given by Stephen Brill the writer behind the Might Ducks, the most interestingly part of the talk came when he told us the movie was originally meant to be an edgy movie with the kids cursing, and much of story revolving around an inter raccial relationship,
http://almosturban.blogspot.com/2007/10/steven-brill-author-of-mighty-ducks.html

jose said...

There's one more piece you may have failed to notice in that exact scene with. If you go back to the part when team USA leaves the park and the Black/Brown/poor team is overlooking them from the gate, below them is a spray painted picture reminiscent to BLACKFACE surrounded by graffiti... big red lips, big white eyes and white gloves at the bottom. The exact scene is when