February 10, 2006

What To Do, What To Do

So here's my predicament: While cruising the web today I found a lot of stuff that I you guys should read about, but if I write substantial commentary to even a fraction of it it will take up too much of my time and way too much space here on the blog, which would probably mean that nobody would read it. Such is born a link dump....

First, we have dual stories of corruption out of the White House, with one in which we learn that "Scooter" Libby was told by his superiors to leak Valerie Plame's name and another in which we learn that the White House knew that the levees had failed in New Orleans on the night of the storm though they later claimed to not have known. Is anyone surprised?

Next up, a piece by James Wolcott on Imus. Imus has always struck me as one of those hosts that really shouldn't be doing interviews. He doesn't conduct intverviews well and that just adds up to, as Wolcott points out, conservatives getting the run of the show and liberals getting bad questions, at best. I don't think this is because, like a Hannity, he's out to make the show as conservative as possible. I think he just doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Eh, who knows, maybe I'm being too charitable.

The best part about the adoption of broadband internet by the mainstream is that now I can link to video and audio clips that need very little in the way of commentary. First, Mary Matalin, on Hannity & Colmes, says that civil rights leaders are racists. Next, Limbaugh says that he like the comparison of Senator Barak Obama to Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, whom Limbaugh claimed was only receiving media attention because the media was desirous to have a black quaterback succeed. Yay, another video! This one of Bill Bennett synonomizing Islam with violent extreme Islam. He does claw it back just a hair right at the end, but it's still pretty bad. Finally we have a clip where Bill O'Reilly claiming that he wants Al Sharpton in chains when Bill dies. I think it's important to be charitable to people, and it seems pretty obvious to me that this was just a slip of the tongue, though a pretty humorous one.

Here's a very interesting take on the Danish cartoon scandal and the ensuing riots.

And in recognition of the impending onset of the most corporate and, for me, hated, holidays, here are a couple articles about how nerds are all the rage on the romantic scene. Hogwash, I say!

"But you better keep moving before you get totally cold
And you better start growing up before you get old"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wouldn't say that Imus is bad at interviews, I just don't think Imus is trying to do with his interviews whatever it is that you want him to do. But the result is the same.